The Sandbox is a Pixel Metaverse world where players can build, own, and monetize their gaming experiences using non-fungible tokens (NFTs) and $SAND, the platform’s Ethereum-based utility token. Players can create digital assets in the form of NFTs, upload them to the marketplace, and integrate into games with The Sandbox Game Maker. The Sandbox virtual world is made up of LAND – digital pieces of real estate – in The Sandbox metaverse that players can buy to build experiences on top of.
Technically, The Sandbox gaming ecosystem consists of three products.
- VoxEdit Editor: a 3D modeling package that helps players create and animate content, such as people or animals, to leaves or even tools, etc., and export it to the Sandbox Marketplace to become in-game NFT assets.
- Marketplace: supports users to upload, publish and trade props created in VoxEdit as NFTs (ERC-1155).
- Game Maker: Any NFT asset - whether created through VoxEdit or purchased through the Marketplace - can be placed or used within the game. Users who own in-game lands can decorate their lands in this mode and, more importantly, it allows for nuanced game mechanics by predefining behavior for in-game items.
- Access The Sandbox platform: Players spend$SAND in order to play games, buy equipment, or customize their Avatar character. Creators spend $SAND to acquire ASSETS, LANDS, and through Staking. LAND Sales drive demand for $SAND to purchase LANDS. Artists spend $SAND to upload ASSETS to the Marketplace and buy Gems for defining Rarity and Scarcity.
- Governance: $SAND is a governance token that allows holders to participate in Governance decisions of the platform, using a DAO structure. They can exercise voting rights on key elements such as Foundation grant attributions to content and game creators and feature prioritisation on the platform Roadmap. $SAND owners can vote themselves or delegate voting rights to other players of their choice.
- Staking: $SAND allows for staking, which allows for passive revenues on LANDS: players get more $SAND by staking it. This is also the only way to get valuable Gems and Catalysts, needed for ASSET creation
- Fee Capture model = 5% of all transaction volume carried out in $SAND tokens (Transaction Fees) shall be allocated with 50% to the Staking Pool as rewards for token holders that stake $SAND tokens and 50% to the ''Foundation.''
- Foundation: The role of the Foundation is to support the ecosystem of The Sandbox, offering grants to incentivize high quality content & game production on the platform.
Token Sale, Vesting Plan, and Distribution Plan of $SAND
The ability to play games has not yet been released. At the moment, users can try out some templates and previews in the Game Maker software.
In the official version, users can potentially earn $SAND through Play-to-Earn mechanics. You can then use this $SAND to purchase ASSETs, avatar customisations or to access and play non-free games, amongst other things.
Currently, the Foundation Funds is managed by The Sandbox Company in order to kick off the growth of its ecosystem, to support high-quality content and games to be produced and made available at the launch In the near future, all $SAND aggregated to the Foundation will be governed by $SAND holders. These holders may allocate reserves as they see fit, all of which must be formalized through on-chain governance and $SAND voting.
This direct link between a growing treasury and $SAND governance gives token holders a means of directing value across The Sandbox ecosystem, whether directly to those passively staking SAND or through more creative means like curation, committees, and usage incentives. Alongside governance, The Sandbox team is building a robust system where those who curate with their SAND will be able to earn and collect fees on top of whatever is routed to the treasury, providing a secondary means of income to active users of the platform.
Both the Game Makers Fund and Creators Fund are managed by the Foundation, and are used to support the ecosystem by offering grants to incentivize high-quality content and game production in The Sandbox.